Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Some people

     This morning, I was the only one in the apartment, as my roommates all had Russian classes in the morning. I did homework, made breakfast, cleaned the kitchen, and wrote postcards to pass the morning, then got my stuff together and headed out. Oddly, however, I couldn't find a key. The situation is that you get one key per room, and the front door locks both on the inside and the outside- that is, you can't accidentally lock the door, but you can lock someone else out or in. I searched and searched for the key, but it was nowhere to be found.

     After silently thanking my two good roommates for not locking the door when they knew I was there (i.e., locking me in), I went downstairs, leaving the apartment empty and unlocked, and asked the front desk if they had my key. It turns out they did, so I was able to go back upstairs and lock it, then head back downstairs and go to school, but I was more than a little ticked off at the wasted time and possibility of being locked in. I texted the bad roommate- ms. motormouth from earlier posts- and told her that she is an adult, and shouldn't need me to tell her how to handle the key situation. I got no response, but when I ran into her at college later, this is what happened:

Me: Why did you take the key with you this morning?
Her: Oh, I didn't want to leave the door unlocked while you guys were sleeping...

     Now, don't get me wrong, this seems like a good reason... until you realize that a) that's what she'd been doing the entire rest of the time we've been here, b) that still leaves me either having to make two trips up to our room (on the 9th floor) to lock the door or locked inside with no way of getting out, and c) she knows that the rest of us wake up no more than an hour later than she does, and all of our personal items are in our rooms, not in the common areas. So while there's a minimal possibility that someone could walk in in the hour between her leaving and the rest of us waking up, it's extremely unlikely that they'd be able to do anything, and that"danger" is greatly outweighed by having to leave the room entirely unattended while I trek back and forth to get the key. To continue:

Me: Do you realize that that means I had to leave the apartment empty while I tracked the key down?
Her: Yeah...
Me: And that I could have been locked in if (roommates) hadn't been smart and not locked the door?
Her: Yeah...
Me: And???
Her: Oh, I guess... uh... I won't do it again? Sorry.

     I understand that not everyone can do such difficult things as thinking about their consequences, especially not someone who can't even figure out that the entire population of the country she's in talks 20 decibels quieter than she does, but there comes a time when those consequences have to be faced, regardless of innocent idiocy. And today was that day. The three of us who have a clue also suspect that she's been stealing food from us, but don't have hard evidence yet. Once that is obtained, there will be another confrontation, if need be.

     On an up note, however, things are going better. I managed to download a copy of the album I listen to the most before the internet censors caught on, so some of the music crisis has been alleviated. The internet has been installed and paid for, and we'll see how well it works this afternoon. Things might be looking up. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment