Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lazy day

     This Wednesday, classes were cancelled for something called the CultFest/ CogFest here at St. Pete's. Apparently, it's a thing that the NY school puts on where anyone- from any country- can do a (five minute) presentation on whatever they've been researching for the past couple years. Since the topics that were proposed looked absolutely stultifying to me, I decided to take a day off instead. The day dawned grey and windy, so I slept in a little later than usual. The first five hours of my day were spent reading the Hunger Games trilogy, a series I do recommend, although I agree with critics that it doesn't really give a strong female lead character. Katniss pretty much just reacts to everything that happens to her, rather than actually planning out her life. Still, it's better than the Twilight or 50 Shades trilogies that we've been subjected to lately, so pick it up!

     Having been cooped up inside the house for so long, I decided to take a walk. It was my usual rambling, unguided, and informational walk that usually starts with "I wonder what's in this direction," and ends when I'm tired. Yesterday was no exception, and I got substantially more familiar with the area around our apartments. As usual, however, I got stopped and asked for directions, something that happens at least once a day, if not more. I'm not sure if people think I just look helpful or what, but it's a consistent thing in this country. At least now I know how to answer!

     To complete the lazy day, I went out to a very nice Japanese restaurant with two of my roommates (not the talkative one) and some others, then sat around the kitchen and talked until about midnight. Today also dawned windy and raining, and I managed to scrounge enough clothing to keep me warm, although the only water resistant shoes I have are my doc martens which have 3" heels. Since Russian buildings almost inevitably have wooden floors, this means you can hear me coming from a mile away, but it's better than walking around with wet feet.

     No pictures today, sorry! I did find a nice little love poem written outside one of the apartment buildings on the sidewalk, but I haven't had time to upload the pictures and/ or translate the message yet, so you'll get 'em later. Enjoy the summer weather while you can, we're sitting in the 50-60 degree range out here, with rain blowing in right off the Gulf of Finland. Just glad I'm not here during the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment