Monday, September 26, 2011

How to make a stubborn person give up.

Yes, it's a long title. I have faith that you can deal with it. Moving on...

     One of my less annoying habits is that I'm pretty stubborn. I try to stay with things no matter what, sometimes even when it's neither logical nor wise to do so. However, there is one sure-fire way to make me give up on anything, and this past week has gotten me pretty close to just crawling back into bed and hibernating til Thursday. Why Thursday? Thursday is dance class, for one, which always puts me in a better mood, and, more importantly, Thursday is when I go back to the dentist to get a permanent crown put on and my last cavity filled. Remember this, it is important.

     Now, back to the giving up bit. A lot of people, if asked, would probably say the best way to make someone give up is to constantly harass and harangue them, make sure that everything goes wrong, and they can achieve nothing, right? Well, they'd be wrong. The only thing that will do for stubborn people (and admit it, if you're not a stubborn person, you at least know one, so this can be applied in everyone's life), is make them angry. The more you thwart a stubborner, the more determined they will be to find you and prove that they can overcome anything. Think about it: who triumphs in the end? The stubborn ones who don't back
down no matter what gets thrown at them. We're like angry, determined little vindictive squirrels- cute, until you get in our way, then look out!

And then I will eat your soul.


     Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent. Anyhow, no, the best way to get a stubborner to give up is to let them think they're starting to make progress, then put enough of an annoyance in the way that they have to detour around it. Then, just as it seems like they're making progress on that road: another detour. Let them detour around that and get back up to speed, and hit 'em with another one. If you do this enough, they'll eventually realize that, metaphorically speaking, they've driven 1,000 miles to just end up in their own back yard. THAT, my friends, is the best way to make a stubborner give up.

     Sadly, that is what the last few days have felt like. Thursday was a massive test in one class. Friday was an unexpectedly difficult quiz in another class, followed by a call for workers on Saturday. Which day ended delightfully by my knee once more giving out as I was helping a customer...

      Sunday, the only remaining day off that I had, started off with cramps hitting me while I was grocery shopping- something that hasn't happened in over 12 years now (the cramp part, not necessarily  the grocery bits!). On Sunday evening, my temporary crown decided to come off... and remember that I don't go in until Thursday to get the permanent one. I glued it back on with toothpaste, which hurt like mad since that tooth is ridiculously sensitive. Then today, I go to work feeling generally icky and nursing a headache from clenching my jaw in an overzealous attempt to keep said tooth in place, only to have the ridiculous temperature difference between outside and my office- combined with the fact that the vent is aimed, I swear, directly at my face- make my nose stuff up and my sinuses dry out.



     
   The long and short of this whole thing is that, despite nothing terribly huge going wrong, I am in a poopy mood, and want to go back to bed, curl up under the blankets, and sleep until Thursday. Yes, things could be worse. Yes, there are people out there who are (insert bad things here). However, I say, in the words of Berkeley Breathed, thbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpb to all that.

I quit.

For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment