Friday, June 8, 2012

FTP 16 - Random acts of kindness

     Despite the fact that I live in a (very) low-income neighborhood, and most of my neighbors would probably get suspicious looks from the cops, I do my best to smile and wave at everyone I see here. While this does occasionally earn me whistles and catcalls, for the most part, people are very nice and smile and wave back. It is absolutely hilarious to see a group of bad-ass guys hanging out with their friends get embarrassed at first, then gradually just grin and return the favor.

     Last week, as I was taking the trash out to the dumpster, there was a guy walking along the sidewalk with an ice cream cart from a local company (we get lots of people selling fruit and stuff out of handcarts, first time I've seen ice cream though). One of the older gentlemen who always smiles and waves back was getting ice cream for his little daughter, and as I was walking past them, he turned, handed me an ice cream, and said, "From me, to you. You always have pretty smile." It was completely unexpected, but definitely made my day. It really is the little things in life that make the world a better place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment