Monday, January 30, 2012

In sickness and in health

NOTE: Due to time constraints from work and school, I will be dropping this down to one post a week on Mondays only. I would much rather have quality reflections and stories up here than rushing to get slipshod tales completed. Apologies, but life takes precedence. And now, on to the story!

     Looking back, this past week has been pretty dang unpleasant. My life was centered around being sick, and scheduled in between time to take medicine, time to attempt sleep, and time to doze off while getting not very much done. I got out of the house only twice- once to go to the doctor/ pharmacy, and once on Thursday when I couldn't justify skipping another class. For someone who usually likes to be doing or accomplishing things as much as possible, it was not good times.

     As I was getting better though, my father wrote me and said, "A week ago, you took your health for granted. Now, I'll bet you appreciate it." While there is an ages-old truth to this, I'd like to think that it doesn't 100% apply to me. In an earlier post on optimism, I wrote, "Optimism is hoping for the best, looking for the best, and then doing your best to make the best happen." Included in that is getting up and appreciating all the things you have throughout the day, and let me tell you, living in a third floor apartment during the winter makes you appreciate your health on a regular basis.


     The lessons that I'm taking away from this past week are different, and twofold. The first part is the recognition of timely responses. I've been pretty stubborn about going to the doctor's office in the past, pushing it to see if I could get better on my own. Whether this was out of stubbornness, monetary concerns, or machismo, I'm not quite sure, but I think I'm past that phase now. I'll still pull through on my own for things like a cold, the sniffles, minor aches and pains, but being able to go from healthy to wanting to die back to healthy and functional again within a week is pretty amazing, and there's no reason to wallow in self-pity and pain when there are valid options available.

     The  second lesson I'm taking away has to do with relationships with others, and isn't fully realized yet. The gentleman I'm seeing stuck with me through the week, doing what he could to make me feel better, and not complaining when I was being whiny or contrary or out of sorts. There may have been some logical thumps upside the head, but hey, sometimes that's the best medicine. Moreover, the people whom I consider to be true friends also made a point of checking up on me, whether they were in a position to offer physical assistance or merely an ear to gripe to. Actual compassion and love have been in fairly short supply for most of my adult life, and it made me stop and think about what I'm willing to take and put up with from people, considering their behavior when it really counts.


     As I said, though, that lesson is still being worked on. For now, I'm happy I'm healthy again, delighted that I'm able to get some real sleep, and extremely grateful to the awesome people in my life. Here's looking to a better week. Cheers!

1 comment: