Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thought patterns and optimism.

     They (the infamous they) say that humans are linear thinkers. And for the most part, I agree. We do tend to start with a specific thought and follow it through to the end. Of course, there is always the possibility of a couple tangents in the middle, but for the most part, thoughts and communication follow a single line.

     However, you also get those days when it seems like there is so much stuff crammed into your head, that it's impossible to find a single starting point. Everything is so interconnected that, it seems, if you open your mouth, it will get stuck, like a crowd of people trying to jam through a single door. Everything tries to get out at once, so nothing gets anywhere. What's even worse is that this chaotic tangle is usually backed by some pretty strong emotions, be they happiness, depression, anger or what have you, and this just adds to the pressure and inability to get anything out.

 

     So yes, that's where I am today. The sad thing is that most of the things in my head are positive, happy thoughts, but it's still depression and confusion that is lurking behind them. Which, conveniently, brings me to another point I've been wanting to make for a while. Hold on to your pants, ladies and gents, this is going to be a long one.

     These days, I would tentatively classify myself as an optimist. Now, instantly, this brings to a lot of people's minds a rather disturbing image, and one that, quite frankly, I'm getting sick of. The reason I call myself an optimist is not because I want to bury my head in the sand and pretend the world is made of sunshine and rainbows. I'm not some flighty, idiotic head case looking for nothing to ever go wrong, in fact, I wouldn't even say that I'd call a glass half-full every time. That image may have been fine and dandy for earlier times, but I swear, I am going to overhaul the image of optimists everywhere, even if I have to shove it down the throat of everyone I meet, one at a time.

Not real optimism!

     Here's how I define optimism: Optimism is hoping for the best, looking for the best, and then doing your best to make the best happen (and that last part is absolutely mandatory). Optimism is believing that everyone out there has good in them, even if it's hidden beneath crusty layers of not caring anymore. Optimism is believing that you can make the world a better place, even if it takes time and patience. Optimism is knowing that, even if you never get any recognition, even if you never get your 15 minutes of fame, even if the world never notices you... your actions have made someone's day better. And you know what? It's hard work; optimism is not for wimps.

     Why do I say that? Here's why: I don't know if it's cool to be jaded, or if the "fashionable ennui" that dominated courtly times has come back in, or what, but the vast majority of today's world either is, or comes across as, uncaring, pessimistic, fatalistic, and distant. Yes, I know there's a lot of bad stuff in the world, but really, is that enough to stop you from caring about others? That's a catch-22 and a closed circle, and in part, how we got to the point we are today. Moreover, I don't know whether it's jealousy, guilty consciousness, or what, but when hardened hearts see good people doing good things, their first reaction is to mock the good being done.

     Are you strong enough to stand up to that? Are you strong enough to wake up every day, and see that your actions have made no major changes in the world, but still get up, go out, and keep working to be the change you want to see? Do you know how much willpower it takes to turn a deaf ear to mockery as you reach out a hand to someone who needs a boost, when what you really want to do is turn around and beat the tar out of the cold-hearted buggers who hurt other people for no reason? And sometimes, even the person you reached out to help pushes you away and makes fun of you for caring.

     But you know what? I'm going to keep doing it. Not for fame, not for recognition, not even for a sense of self-righteousness. I'm going to do it because I feel better doing it, and because if the possibility exists that my having smiled and said "thank you," or "I hope your day gets better,"... if the fact that I backed off and let someone in traffic get ahead of me, making me all of 5 seconds later to get where I'm going... if being the kind of person I want to see around me in the world today makes even one person feel less bad... it was worth it. Even if I never know it happened. That, ladies and gentlemen, is my optimism.

The real stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment