Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cranky day

   Today is one of those days. Not necessarily a day where nothing goes right, but rather a day where nothing feels right. You wake up in a grumpy mood, and just unconsciously decide to be contrary. Nothing is right, you don't want to do anything, everything is just slightly off. Not enough to anger, just enough to miff. Or possibly tick. Definitely something that ends with "you off".
    My day started with poor sleep and crummy dreams. In them, someone I know very well was being a jerk, and, despite there being no possible way it was their fault, I still woke up feeling very put out with them.


 









So, already off to a great start, I head for the kitchen, hoping food will wake me up and improve my mood. I usually have eggs and toast or a bagel, with orange juice on the side. Today, however, I wasn't feeling like having a "usual", but nothing else looked appetizing.


    I ended up making eggs and a bagel anyway, but just to show it who was boss, I didn't enjoy it. Yeah, that's right, take that Mr. Usual Breakfast. You were not enjoyed, ha!
    After eating, I sat down to read my (extensive) list of webcomics that I keep up on. After a while though, I noticed it was pretty darn chilly- enough so that I had to go get a pair of winter socks to keep from freezing. Unfortunately, this is pretty typical around here, despite the temperature outside bring constantly in the 90s.
    This is, sadly, due to my a/c unit having been made as an early childhood prototype by Methuselah, and no doubt, updated and serviced by Dr. Frankenstein. Despite having the options of Cool vs Energy Saver (i.e. fan always on vs fan off when not actively cooling), what these two options really mean are: Fan on vs Unpredictable activity at random times, regardless of temperature. I'm assuming that "Fan" means just what it says, but I have no idea what "Dry" means, and given the psychotic hyper-activity of the unit, I'm kind of afraid to try it.

Control panel of my a/c unit.

    The temperature area is a great example of man's hopes being squashed by reality. No matter what I set it to, it has only two options. If I set it to 70 or below, it will aim to make it feel like northern Canada in December. If I set it to 71 or above, it will wait until it is 80 degrees and I am dying of heat stroke before it comes on. What makes it even more fun is that the 70-71 split isn't consistent. Sometimes, the break will be between 70 and 71, sometimes between 74 and 75, and one fine day it even dropped to sit between 66 and 67 degrees. So between the guess-the-temp split, the options of (noisy) fan on vs schizophrenic activity, and the fact that the "adjustable" vents always blow directly at the couch across the room, regardless of where you point them... I'm less than pleased with my a/c.
    So, freezing and roasting in alternation, hungry but not in the mood to eat anything, and cranky at people who have no control over how I dream them, my day was off to a great start. What to do about it? Well, here are my thoughts on the matter. It could go either way:


Update: What actually happened is that I got all the crankiness out by posting this, and have had a very pleasant and productive day. Go figure!

2 comments: