Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bad amazement

    It is entirely possible that I had an unusual upbringing. I have come to realize, over the years, that not everyone's family would allow you to get up from the dinner table for only two things: to go to the bathroom, and to check the dictionary. Not everyone's family encouraged reading the classics at the age of 8. It is not common for families to have arguments of the etymology of words on a regular basis. Add to this the fact that I went to school for four years in a school system that was positively rigorous about spelling and grammar, and you get an idea of why my background might be slightly unusual when it comes to words.
    Regardless of these factors, however, one would still hope that the general public had managed to pick up enough basic usage of the English language to prevent me from having a permanent bruise from banging my
head against the wall. Sadly, this is not the case. As I have been job hunting off and on for nearly three months now, I have come across some truly fumble-fingered examples of what I can only hope is utter lack of self-editing. I sincerely want to believe that it's not simply a case of rampant ignorance. Here are some examples of what I've been running into (and what they say to me about the people who posted them):

  • Office Assistant: need someone who knows what they're doing around an office must have experience knowledge of microsoft office preferably word and excel must know how to handle a phone and have good typing experience professional inquiries only 
  • Asst Admin: need someone 8-10 hrs/ wk for typing, filing, appt setting & phone work.
  • Editer: We are seeking someone to fill in for a current editer while their going back to school. We would like someone who has experience. We would liek you to have experience. We look forward to talking to you.
  • Customer Service: Do you have a great attitude? Do you love working with awesome people in a fun environment? Are you super cool and want to hang out with only the best? Come work for us at this exciting opportunity (that we won't give you any details about)!
  • Part-time: Hours are flexible as long as you can cover M-F 9-5. (or) Start with 39 hours a week and the opportunity to grow! (or) Wood u like 2 had a gr8 job 2day? Ok if u'v never wrked b4! If u r  over 18, u can work! Call now @ 867-5309! Yay!

    I am truly baffled that people do not see these as problems. Perhaps this is just a factor of my upbringing, but I was taught to proofread and edit my own words before sending them out there for the world to see. I'm not saying I don't make mistakes, but I do my best to ensure that they are not blatantly obvious mistakes, especially when it comes to employment issues in a tough economy. Unfortunately, shy of emailing every single person about the errors in their postings (a course of action guaranteed to get you ignored or yelled at), there's really not much to be done.
    I suppose, on the up side, that you do get a better feel of the place you'd be working for with these posts. If they can't figure out that part-time isn't 40 hours a week, or how to spell editor, then it's probably not the best place to be. Back to the search...

No comments:

Post a Comment