Friday, December 16, 2011

Time for some reconsideration.

     As a general rule, I tend to avoid talking politics. To be perfectly honest, I haven't really felt, in the past, that I was sufficiently aware of the situation to make an educated statement, so I simply listened and changed the subject. However, as I was listening to a parody of "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood today, it got me to thinking. Back a couple years ago, when that version of the song came out, I liked it. It was singable, it had a good message, and quite frankly, I was relatively proud of being American. Not enough to get me kicked out of other countries for being obnoxious, but I felt that the US was in decent shape.

     Can you see where this is going? Yeah, I don't really feel that way anymore. Perhaps it was my being educated on the circumstances that exist in other countries (did you know in France, you are required to take 30 days- a month- of vacation per year? When's the last time you heard of anyone taking even close to that in
America? Even Russia gives you 28 days a year off...), perhaps it was being exposed to world news sources rather than just American ones, perhaps it was even being sympathetic to the Occupy protests as my time at school starts winding down and I start looking at the job market. For whatever reason, though, I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with what America has become.

     So, in light of all that, here's my opinion on "God Bless the USA", and a proposed re-write, to stay current with the times:

Citations at the end of the post.

     So, all that being said, here's my revised version of "God (Corporations) Bless the USA".


     If you don't hear from me on Friday, you'll know why. And on that exceptionally cheerful note, may your week go well, and here's hoping for some positive changes in the world with the onset of the holidays. Cheers!



Citations:
1) Banks Foreclosing Illegally?
2) U-6 Unemployment rate, including underemployment.
3) NDAA allows indefinite detention, Obama rescinds veto threat.
4) Peaceful protests vs mayor's opinions.
5) Police destroy OWS camp, all property therein, refuse to accept bail.
6) Mayor Bloomberg: I have the 7th largest army in the world.
7) The US is the world's largest polluter, ignores Kyoto Protocol.
8) I'm sure they've learned their lesson, they can stop being responsible.
9) OWS Locations
10) Notice there is no mention of responsibilities for these corporations.
11) UN Envoy points the finger at the US
12) Overview of the Patriot Act. Remember that?
13) Changes since 2001.

1 comment:

  1. That was awesome! I totally agree with you--all those very same things make me incredibly angry too.

    ReplyDelete