Monday, December 19, 2011

Coincidence or foresight?

     This story takes place during Thanksgiving week. I was out shopping with my mom, and she needed to grab some spice for the turkey, so we pulled in to a Whole Foods somewhere in Maryland (I wasn't really paying attention to the particulars, so that's as close as you get to an accurate description). Now, the Whole Foods stores in Colorado are, for some reason, relatively small- certainly no larger than your average grocery store, and in some cases, about the size of those tiny ethnic food stores. The one in Maryland that we went to, on the other hand, you could easily clear the aisles and hold car races inside. Short ones, but still car races. The parking lot is underneath the store, and once you climb the stairs (or ride the escalator, but that seems counter-productive to me), there's a Mecca of healthy food and organic stuff laid out before you.

     The one down side to this is that if you don't know where what you're looking for is, good luck finding it. We were after juniper berries, and while it's possible that they would be in the spices aisle, we didn't see anything that clearly looked like or said "spices." I did, however, see an employee helping someone else at the end of
one of the aisles we looked down, so I suggested we ask him. He finished helping the other person as we walked up, and mom said...


     Now really, what are the odds of something like that happening? If you'd asked me, when we were walking up to him, if it looked like the guy had anything in his apron, I would've said no. So he either had only that one, specific item with him (again, what are the odds?), or else he's a gamer and managed to find a magical bag of holding, and was using it for entirely the wrong reasons.

     Either way, I promptly laughed myself silly, we grabbed some food for lunch, and headed out. I love when bizarre little things like that happen- it gives you a break from the normal routine of life, and makes you appreciate that sometimes, the small stuff doesn't need to be sweated. It'll sort itself out, really. Cheers!