Sunday, February 28, 2021

Crossing nice people (part 2)

 DISCLAIMER: still not a reference to anyone I know now.

Part 1

     Eventually, after having to smack enough chronic line-crossers in the face with shovels, I did figure out that I do not owe it to anyone to be that nice and accommodating. Allowing people to cross your lines, however, is only part of the problem. Another part is figuring out where your lines are and which ones you really care about if they're crossed. 

     When I was younger, I had a plethora of lines and - now to my regret - I was inconsistent in defending them. I could blame it on bad days, wavering self-esteem, changing ideals, what have you, but ultimately it was just that I didn't have very concrete lines or consistent consequences. 

     I eventually realized that some lines don't necessarily need defended - I am open to discussion and changing my opinion if people have different views, and some topics I truly no longer care what other people's thoughts about me are. The lines that remain, however, are quickly and strictly enforced, and (I'd like to think) clearly marked ahead of time as well. Which is not to say that I don't try to be nice to people, just that nice ends a lot faster if someone tries to take advantage of it now. 


Note: neither to scale nor exhaustive. Just a doodle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment