Sunday, January 3, 2021

Sylvia Bishop sketch

      I've been wanting to get back to sketching, but let's face it... life right now is pretty dang boring with the pandemic and lockdown. I'm working on some projects, but it'll be a while before they make enough progress to warrant pictures. I mentioned on a social media site that I wanted to sketch again, and someone asked if I was taking suggestions. I figured sure, why not, except they then suggested "a badass dragon!" which my sketch skills are wildly not up to.

     It jogged a memory though... Back in 2018, I started writing a story about Sylvia Bishop - a woman who could talk to plants - based rather loosely on me when I was in my 20s. She would probably run across dragons eventually, right? And her life isn't locked down and boring. Would it work to do random sketches of her while I'm busy not writing that large story out? 

     As per usual, that somehow morphed into writing out a relatively long short story for her, and I realized (at 11pm last night) that I was going rather far afield of my original sketch goal. I'll get back to working on that short story (and maybe the long one, who knows) later, but refocused this morning and made the below sketch. The pen I'm working with still likes to blot and smear, but I reminded myself that it's just a sketch, and finished rough editing in an hour or so. Enjoy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment