Saturday, December 26, 2020

Backlash cosplay: Hood and wig

      The gentleman's Backlash cosplay is mostly done, barring - of course - the pieces that I need to work on. The character has a "mask" of sorts, that is drawn as just fabric. The gentleman, however, needs to wear glasses, so we had to be a little more inventive. The gentleman found a person online that makes custom masks, and had an option for glasses lenses, resulting in a pretty dang bad-ass looking mask:

      He then ordered a wig, since the character has white hair and that would not go over well at work. 

  

   We first tried just a regular ski mask, but the character mask was narrower than the face hole, which looked awful. We also realized there was no way to attach the slightly heavy mask to stretchy material, so some sort of structure as required. I threw together a Worbla outline of the gentleman's face, then sewed blue stretch fabric over it which took several tries. 


     The next step was cutting down the wig and sewing it on; something made difficult by the wig not fitting under the hood, so we had to put it on over the hood and then lift up strands of hair until I could mark where to trim it. I basted on the front and back, then realized I'd been overgenerous when marking, and had to do another round of marking, cutting down, basting, and trying it on. Once the fit was correct, I sewed each section of hair down, then sewed the outer layer of stretch fabric over it all so there's a clean seam at the top. 

     Sadly, I did not track my time on this, thinking it wouldn't take too long - HA. I'm at least over 50 hours, possibly more, just from the difficulty of fitting a stretchy wig onto stretchy material fitted closely to match a face and a mask. I love my gentleman dearly, but I am not making something like this again anytime soon. 

     Looking forward, I need to sew magnets onto the hood so the mask can attach securely, then all that will be left on the Backlash outfit is making two "gems" for the harness. Getting close!

No comments:

Post a Comment