Saturday, December 5, 2020

Bedtime

      Over the years, I have painstakingly established a bedtime routine optimized to get my brain to shut up and go to sleep as expeditiously as possible. It involves taking a shower at a certain time, singing calming songs in said shower, having a filling dessert so I don't wake up hungry at 2am, and controlling the ambient levels of sound, light, and temperature during this process to encourage restfulness. Magnesium supplements are involved on scheduled days, and the gentleman is kind enough to support all this by keeping things quiet when it's dessert time, even if he's staying up later. 

     Despite this, every so often, my brain will just... not stop. I'll go through all the usual steps, and find myself wondering what color the sunset it on other planets due to their different atmospheric makeup, or  how many watermelons really would fit in a 1986 Honda Accord. On those nights, it is not uncommon for 2am to look like this:

     Part of me wonders if maybe I've gone too far into coddling my brain, and really what it needs is to go through boot-camp-like hell-training so it learns to pass out whenever the heck I tell it to. Thankfully, the off days are rare, but if they increase in frequency, something drastic will have to happen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment