Monday, September 30, 2013

Good news/ bad news

     One of my friends wrote me an entire three-page letter like this once. It's since become a pattern in my brain, because it lets me work through what's going on in my life, it doesn't matter if there are lots of random tangents, and whichever one you end up with more of, usually gives you an idea of how well things are going.

Good news: I got a job!

Bad news: It's part-time.

Good news: It fits in well with my school schedule!

Bad news: It doesn't actually pay all my bills.

Good news: School lets me put off repaying my student loans, so I'm scraping by.

Bad news: The business I started is supposed to supplement my income, and it hasn't taken off. (Yet).

Good news: I really like the people I work with.

Bad news: I have to talk on the phone.

Good news: I'm learning medical stuff, which could be useful for a translator.

Bad news: I'm only learning it in English.

Good news: I'm playing WoW and Diablo 3 in Russian and French to maintain fluency.

Bad news: I still see it as playing games, so I don't do it as often as I'd like to.

Good news: I'm learning another necessary language (Arabic).

Bad news: It is a pain in the tail.

Good news: It'll help when I've put in three years at the internship and try again for a language job.

Bad news: Why the heck aren't language companies hiring me???!!?!?!?! (/angst, /self-doubt)

Good news: Having a job makes me have to get out of the house and socialize.

Bad news: Having a job makes me realize that none of us and nothing we do is actually vital to survival.

Good news: I've figured out why I've been so moody lately.

Bad news: It's because I'm having an existential crisis, trying to find my place in life.

Good news: My gentleman is more than happy to kick my butt when I get like this.

Bad news: That doesn't actually solve the problem (but...)

Good news: It does make me realize I'm being a moody pain in the tail.

Bad news: I have absolutely no idea how to deal with this, even though I've been through it before.

Good news: I'm maintaining my weight/ workouts, starting to get a handle on what clothes I look good in, and am starting to feel more like an adult and less like an awkward kid.

Bad news: I have no money to buy new clothes, and it took me til my 30s to figure out how to adult.

Good news: My gentleman is still amazing, loving, supportive, a fabulous cook, a wonderful friend, a steady roommate, and just all around awesome.

Bad news: Yeah, really, there is none when it comes to the two of us.

     My gentleman has been a huge help over the last few months, and there really hasn't been anything that he does that annoys me (and hopefully vice versa). We split the chores and the bills, have dinner together most nights, go to the gym together twice a week, and get along pretty dang well. He's considerate enough to wear snore strips so he doesn't keep me awake at night, and I'm trying to match my sleep schedule with his so I don't wake him up, coming to bed when he's already asleep. I may have stuff to be concerned about, but my partner- the person who's got my back in the world- sure isn't one of em, so I guess I'm pretty darn lucky.

     So yeah, life ain't perfect, but so far, the good news outweighs the bad. It could be worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment