Monday, September 30, 2013

A new concept on work

     My boss at the new job surprised me today, the third day of working, when she seemed very concerned about how well things were going for me. I'm used to being thrown at a pile of work, and told to sort it out, so I was a little curious exactly what was going on. The coworker who was showing me some of the ropes I'll be working with waited until the boss left, and enlightened me. She said, "The boss just wants to make sure that you're settling in, because she's going on vacation in two weeks, and doesn't want people coming and going while she's gone. If you decide this isn't the job for you, she'd rather know now than when she's not here and has to struggle to find a way to cover what you do."

     This, honestly, blew my mind. My attitude towards work has always been such that, once you accept a job, you're there. You've decided. You're sticking with it. Unless things were grossly misrepresented to you (something that has only happened twice to me), you've accepted the position and have a decent idea of what it entails. More so because my current job involves... clerical work. Paperwork. Some phone calls. Filing. More filing. Learning codes. More filing. Get the idea? Not difficult or hard-to-learn work. It's day 3, and I feel like, if everyone else got sick tomorrow and couldn't come in, I could do a decent job holding down the fort with a minimum of "crap, what do I do next?" phone calls.

     So to me, the thought of just... giving up on a job after three days is totally foreign. I've worked jobs that I don't particularly care for, or that aren't my forte or goal in life, but I've only twice hit the point where I've given up on a job: the first time because I was flat-out lied to about the position I was being hired into (they gave the temp secretary the job I interviewed for, and stuck me at the front desk instead), and once because "weekends off" meant- to me- that I didn't work weekends at all, while to the boss, it apparently meant you go home Saturday morning and be at work Sunday night. So far, the only thing I've run into at this job that isn't what they told me is that everyone is super nice, and very patient with the new chick who knows absolutely nothing about medical billing. Truly, a fate worse than death.

No comments:

Post a Comment