Monday, March 18, 2013

Russian Fairy Tale

     So this week in the fairy tales class, our assignment is to write a Russian fairy tale of our own. Unfortunately, we were given a pretty strict set of guidelines to follow, and told we'd be marked down from either missing or adding components to it, so there's only so much originality that could be had. Regardless, here's my Russian fairy tale. Pardon the simplicity, and enjoy!


Ivan the Bold

            In a certain time and a certain kingdom, there lived a poor farmer who had three sons. When the time came for the farmer to die, he called together his three sons. To the oldest son, he gave his house. To the middle son, he gave his farmlands. But when his youngest son, Ivan the Bold, stepped forward, the farmer had nothing left to give. “You must go out into the world, my son, and make your own fortune,” he said, then turned his face to the wall and died.
            The older brothers were sorry to see Ivan go, because he was a very hard worker, but Ivan simply said, “Farewell, brothers. I will go out into the world to seek my fortune, and when I have found it, I will return home!” Without further ado, Ivan the Bold walked out into the forest.
            He journeyed onward, straight ahead, for a long time or a short time, and eventually came upon a rabbit, caught in a trap. Ivan the Bold said to himself, “I am very hungry, I could eat this rabbit!” The rabbit heard him and cried out, “Save me, and some day I shall be of use to you!” Being a kind and generous person, Ivan the Bold set the rabbit free. The rabbit thanked him and gave him three hairs from its tail, saying, “If ever you are in need, throw these into the air and say ‘O rabbit, come to my aid’ and I will be there.”
            Ivan the Bold continued walking through the forest, straight ahead, for a long time or a short time, and he came upon a wolf, caught in a trap. He said to himself, “I am very hungry, I could eat this wolf!” The wolf heard him and cried out, “Save me, and some day I shall be of use to you!” Being a kind and generous person, Ivan the Bold set the wolf free. The wolf thanked him and gave him three hairs from its tail, saying, “If ever you are in need, throw these into the air and say ‘O wolf, come to my aid’ and I will be there.”


Ivan the Bold continued walking through the forest, straight ahead, for a long time or a short time, and he came upon a bear, caught in a trap. He said to himself, “I am very hungry, I could eat this bear!” The bear heard him and cried out, “Save me, and some day I shall be of use to you!” Being a kind and generous person, Ivan the Bold set the bear free. The bear thanked him and gave him three hairs from its tail, saying, “If ever you are in need, throw these into the air and say ‘O bear, come to my aid’ and I will be there.”
            Ivan the Bold continued walking- for speedily a tale is spun, but with less speed a deed is done- and after a while he saw a castle in the distance. He asked a peasant who was walking down the road to whom the castle belonged. “Koschei the Deathless lives there,” said the peasant, “surrounded by all the riches he has stolen over the years. If you go in there, he will hunt you down and kill you!” But Ivan the Bold was not afraid, and he went up to the castle to see the riches of Koschei the Deathless.
            When he entered the castle, he found that the master of the house was not at home. After walking for a bit, he found a room full to the brim with gold, jewels, fine clothes, and beautiful tapestries-  all of the riches Koschei the Deathless had stolen from other hard-working folks. Ivan the Bold said, “This will keep my brothers and I for many years!” He filled a sack with as much as he could carry, and left the castle.
            Ivan the Bold walked back into the woods in order to return home and share his fortune with his brothers. He had not gotten very far, however, when he felt a strong wind, and he knew that Koschei the Deathless had come back to his castle. Ivan the Bold heard him screech, “Fie, fie, the Russian smell was never heard of nor caught sight of here, but now I smell it at my door! I will find the one who has stolen from me; I will hunt him down and kill him!”


            Immediately, Ivan the Bold felt a strong wind at his back, and knew that Koschei the Deathless was coming for him. He pulled the three rabbit hairs out from his bag, threw them into the air, and said, “O rabbit, come to my aid!” The rabbit appeared before him, and told Ivan the Bold to hide in its white winter coat. No sooner had he done so than Koschei the Deathless appeared in a rage, and asked the rabbit if he had seen a Russian thief.  “I saw him pass by here,” said the rabbit, “but he was going the other way. Hurry and you may find him!”
            Koschei the Deathless gnashed his teeth and flew off. Ivan the Bold climbed out of the rabbit’s coat, and continued walking. After a while, he felt another strong wind at his back, and knew that Koschei the Deathless was after him once more. He pulled the three wolf hairs out from his bag, threw them into the air, and said “O wolf, come to my aid!” The wolf appeared before him, and bid him to hide in its thick winter coat. As soon as he had done so, Koschei the Deathless appeared, more angry than before, and asked the wolf if it had seen a Russian thief. “I saw him pass by here,” said the wolf, “but he was going the other way. Hurry and you may find him!”
            Koschei the Deathless howled with anger and flew off. Ivan the Bold climbed out of the wolf’s coat, and continued walking. Before long, though, he felt another strong wind at his back, and knew that Koschei the Deathless was hunting him again. He pulled the three bear hairs out of his bag, threw them in the air, and said “O bear, come to my aid!” The bear appeared before him, and bid him hide in its shaggy winter coat. Just as he had done so, Koschei the Deathless appeared, frothing mad, and demanded if the bear had seen a Russian thief. “I saw him pass by here,” said the bear, “but he was going the other way. Hurry and you may find him!”


           Koschei the Deathless shook his fists and screamed at the sky, then stomped his feet so hard that the ground cracked open and swallowed him up. Ivan the Bold climbed out of the bear’s coat, and continued walking. After a long time or a short time, he reached the home that his oldest brother owned, but he hid in the bushes to see what sort of men his brothers had become. He had not lain there long when the two of them came home from working in the fields that belonged to his middle brother, and he overheard their conversation.
“Oh, if only we knew what had become of our youngest brother, Ivan the Bold,” said the eldest. “The house is so empty with only two of us in it!” “I agree,” said the middle brother, “He worked hard in the fields, and with only two of it, it is hard to live well!” At this, Ivan the Bold jumped out of the bushes, and said, “Do not grieve, brothers; here I am, and I have brought home riches, that none of us need to be poor again!” The brothers were overjoyed to see their youngest sibling returned, and they threw a great feast to celebrate.
            I was there at the feast, but no matter how much I drank, only my mustache got wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment