Friday, February 22, 2013

FTP 42 - Know your audience

     I am happy to admit I am quite enraptured with my smartphone. For me, it is a combined street map, day planner, weather forecast, on-the-go translator, stopwatch, timer, clock, phone, text and internet connection, and of course, timewaster. I love silly little games that I can play really quickly while waiting for someone to show up, or for an appointment to start, or just to wind down at night. I do have a few requirements for these games, though; the games 1) cannot be timed or done in a way to make me feel rushed (it's a way to relax for heaven's sake!), 2) must be easily interruptible (they are a time filler, and should be put away when anything important happens), and 3) absolutely must require some amount of logic, intelligence, or problem-solving so that I can, in some small way, justify them as brain-training or self-improvement timewasters.

     With that in mind, I recently got notification that one of my current games had an upgrade available. It's a logic and spatial awareness game called Lost Cubes (the link is to the apple app store). It does take a fair bit of planning and forethought as you get into the upper levels, but can easily be put away and returned to later. When I went to upgrade it, though, this is the summary it gave:


If you don't know what either of those are, count yourself lucky. They are annoying dance and music memes that have caught on and been relentlessly and slavishly copied, mimicked, and done to death. The underlying message (to me) was: if you like these things, you probably won't enjoy the mental challenge of our game, so go away. Can't say as that I mind at all; they've certainly mastered the cliché of "know your audience!"

No comments:

Post a Comment