Monday, October 1, 2012

Keeping busy

     Step 1: Identify the problem.


     Step 2: Identify what, if anything, you can do about it.
                     -If you can do something, go to step 3.
                     -If you truly, honestly, absolutely cannot do anything at all... really... go to step 4.

     Step 3: Make plans, stick to them, get it done.


     Step 4: Keep busy so that you don't waste time worrying about something you cannot affect.

     Step 5: Have faith that it will get better.


     I am, right now, on step 4. Unfortunately, I neglected to make writing one of the things to keep myself busy, so I have rather a backlog of things to say (both to myself and to the world in general), and a dearth of time in which to say them. That being said, keeping busy with other things not only keeps you from needlessly worrying, but also gives you other things to feel accomplished about, so as far as I can tell, it's a win-win situation. As long as you ignore the original problem...

     One of the things I've been keeping busy with is the new expansion pack for WoW. It was released on Tuesday, but, unlike some diehard gamers, I didn't take off of work and school to level up. Our raid leader has it in his head that we will start raiding as soon as the first one is released (in two weeks), so there's a fair bit of pressure to get ready for it. Unfortunately, by waiting til the weekend to get a start on it, that meant that all of the diehard (jerks!) - ahem, players- who did take time off to level up on the first day now are max level, geared up, and bored. Apparently, this means going back to low level areas and griefing (ie killing over and over) the lowbies who have things like responsibilities in their lives. In plain English: leveling was painful because higher level players from the opposing factions were killing us when we had little to no defense against them. Even when we obviously walked around and away from them, they still attacked us (never 1-on-1, mind you, always many-on-one).

Now imagine all the mongooses are four times bigger...

     As utterly frustrating as this was, however, you still do occasionally run into good people. One particular quest that my friend and I were doing involved killing things in stages, and we got stuck in it with a couple of players on the opposite faction. On the first boss, one of the player's pets started attacking me, but I just backed up and healed myself to show that I didn't want to fight (you can't communicate cross-faction). I think they got the idea, because everyone was very careful not to use multi-target attacks after that, making sure that we all worked together and didn't inadvertently hurt each other. At the end of the quest, we all bowed, waved, and went on our ways. Every so often, people really are decent. Unfortunately, they are often heavily outnumbered by the jerks, but still... it's worth looking for the good ones. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment