Monday, October 29, 2012

Being a Woman, part 2

     Despite many of the horrible things that women have to worry about (as outlined in the previous Monday's post), there are still a decent number of perks to being female as well. Naturally, not all of these are applicable at all times, but nonetheless, here are some of the good things that women get to enjoy:

     1) Having a chest. Far better outlined by Rampaige at BustyGirlComics, having a chest comes in pretty handy from time to time. Hugs are awesome, shoulders to cry on are wonderfully comforting, cops are occasionally more lenient (although this works much better if you are honest, forthright, and treat them with the respect they deserve as working professionals), you get doors held open for you- and therefor it's easier to find gentlemen with manners, and you occasionally get a little extra consideration in difficult situations. There are downfalls, to be sure, but I think it works out well in the end.

I'm sure my father (with three daughters) can relate...

     2) You get to dress up. No, I'm not even talking about the little black dress for evening parties. Even just putting on a costume or an outfit from a different era, women generally get more choices of things to wear, allowing you to be stern, frilly, silly, or respectable in any time period. We just need to nix the "sexy everything" costume habit that's arisen lately... I think it goes overboard, but then I"d rather put on a hoopskirt, corset, and full noble's gown than fishnets and a "sexy prisoner" outfit, so take it as you will.

     3) Once a month, you have an excuse to eat anything you want. I know, I know, the rest of the deal stinks especially if you're prone to cramps or emotional instability. But really, when done in moderation, you have a free pass for anything short of actual illegalities. Just don't abuse it.

     4) We're allowed to show emotion and caring in public. Despite the 80's attempt at making men more touchy-feely and connected to their emotions, American society still tries to dictate that guys have to be tough. Women, on the other hand, are allowed to experience a full range of emotions (though it's a double-edged sword, as we're then seen as being silly and emotional). There is something very freeing in that.

The only time you will ever see "bro" on this site.

     5) We still have things to fight for. No no, hear me out. Humans work best when they're up against adversary. Most societies have been patriarchal for so long that (straight, white) men don't really have any strong things to fight for. If a man goes to work and slacks off, he can- within reason- still expect to have a job tomorrow. Women, on the other hand, are still struggling to get equal pay for equal work (a sad but true fact), still face discrimination and harassment in the workforce, and are still passed over for hiring and promotion in favor of men who are less qualified. Don't believe me? Even ignoring the many stories I've compiled in my own experience, go google "sexual discrimination in the workforce." If you can't even be bothered to do that, consider business clothes- women are still generically expected to wear a skirt and heels to most office jobs, clothes that are uncomfortable, a hindrance to movement, and reinforce gender roles of "sexy" vs "capable."

     So why do I say it's a good thing? For those of us who want to fight, we still have something to work towards. I have survived and prospered (and even opened some close-minded hiring manager's eyes to those who came after me) in predominantly male-oriented jobs simply because I knew I had something to achieve. I did my job to the best of my ability, frequently surpassing the men around me, in order to prove that women are not second-rate in those fields. What's more is that I demanded, and got, equal or better pay for my efforts. Yes, it almost always came after I had proven myself, but in the end, I got it, and I made sure that women after me could get it too.

     It's not just in the workforce, either. Despite some people's claims that gender discrimination has been neutralized, women still face pressure over their bodies, their lives, their futures, their pay, their jobs, and their physical and mental well-being, simply because they are women. It was only two years ago that being a woman was no longer allowed to be seen as a pre-existing condition that could affect health insurance costs or coverage. Rape, abortion, menopause, the legitimacy of words from an "over-emotional" woman, all of these are things that we still have to fight for, that we get to choose what our stance is and whether or not they're important enough to stand up for. As someone who feels that everyone should get a fighting chance, that means a lot to me.


     Yes, there are a number of bad things that are part of being a woman. Societal pressures, concerns for personal safety and hormonal changes give us plenty to think about, but it's really not all bad. Count your blessings, figure out what's important to you, and go make your mark on the world. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment