Monday, September 3, 2012

A Hostess childhood

     When I was younger, we weren't really terribly well off. We didn't eat out a lot (which I appreciate, because we got delicious home-made meals instead), but every now and then, we'd stop off at the Wonder Bread Thrift Store, and mom would let us get one piece of junk food each. Without fail, I always went for the Hostess Cherry Pie, a mass of pure sugar-coated pastry full of preserved-cherry fruit squish. It was horribly unhealthy, chock full of calories, and absolutely delicious.


     As the economy grew in the 80s and 90s, the price of these sugar bombs never went up, a fact that- I'm sure- contributed to the company's declaring bankruptcy earlier in the year. Hostess is trying to stay in business during the proceedings, but I've noticed the junk food pastry section in the grocery store is dwindling week by week. For a decade and a half, I have virtuously walked past the alluring Hostess Pies, sitting in their primary-colored wax paper wrappings, and denied myself the temptation of scarfing one down, for old-times' sake. In that last few months, however, that hasn't been an issue, because they're simply not there, and it makes me sad. 

    Today, as I was walking through the store getting healthy options like fresh fruits, non-GMO snacks, and organic meats, I turned the corner and came face to face with a single cherry pie, sitting forlornly all alone on its shelf. I won't lie, I didn't even hesitate as I grabbed it and threw it in my cart. Yes, I could eat three apples and still not reach the caloric content of that one small pie. Yes, I know it's got high fructose corn syrup in it. But sometimes, you just have to give in, and allow nostalgia to take you back to earlier times before it's gone forever.

Ahhh, the good ol days.

     And you know what? It was delicious. I regret nothing. Cheers!

1 comment: