Monday, August 27, 2012

Update on Monday

     In light of the fact that this morning's post wasn't terribly uplifting, here's a bit of an update with a better outlook on life. Today started out pretty crappily: my first class started at 9am, which is usually when I'm cooking breakfast. So 7am saw me up and being very, very unhappy (I don't sleep when I know I have to get up early, 'cause I'm so worried I'll sleep through the alarm that I never drift off). Out the door by 7:45 meant that I ran into all the morning traffic that I usually skip on the highway, and once I found a parking spot (a bright moment in the day, as I found a new, emptier, and easier place to park), I discovered that my bike tires were almost out of air. I rode in to class anyway, and sat through one of the most boring intros to a class ever.

This is brilliant, wish I could do it!
 
     One of the main points of going to Russia was to avoid taking a class here at CU that I felt didn't fit in my schedule, and was taught by a grad student I'd had previously as a TA who was afraid of me. The class in Russia turned out to not be what it said it was, but by then I'd signed up for an Intro to International Relations class, with the thought that it would help me relate to Russia and world affairs better. And I'm sure it would, if it weren't for the fact that the class is at 9 am, they're predicting a heavier-snowfall-than-usual winter, it is on the opposite side of campus from where all my other classes are, and it's a lower div class, so it's in a 500-person auditorium and deals only with generalities. I do much better in smaller classes where you can actually ask questions if you're confused.

     So, given that this (what I thought was a) nifty class is inconvenient in space, time, and learning capabilities, I did some quick research and learned that the other class I still needed to take (since Russia didn't cut it) was also offered right before the French musical class I'm attending (the prof is letting me help out in exchange for not signing up for it formally). I jumped off campus long enough to treat myself to a burrito- always a way to get in a better mood- then sat in on that class to make sure it was good, and went off to French class, which was an absolute blast. Stopped off on the way back to the car to fill up my bike tires, and all-in-all, I think this day has taken a definite turnaround.


     I still need to modify my work schedule to fit in around my new classes, but it will actually be easier to do so now than what it was going to be with a 9am class. I'll probably have to be at work at 9am, but that a) is closer, and b) has parking right by the building. I can do waking up at 8, before that just makes me grumpy. And this way, I get teachers I like, classes I like (and are applicable), and get to finish off M/W/F with the French musical class, where we'll be doing a show about Louis XIV. Yay! So first day of class: not a great start, but a decent finish. Can't complain. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment