Monday, July 25, 2011

Name change... again...

An interesting fact to note, and one that is starting to become important in my life: The Social Security office has a limit on the number of cards they will issue you. You may only receive 3 within one year, or ten within your lifetime. Being as that I'm working on my fourth now, I need to watch out!

Almost a decade ago, I got my first name legally changed. As with (almost) all major life decisions, I took my time doing it to ensure I wouldn't regret it. After trying out different names to find one that fit me- a process that took over 2 years, actually- I insisted that everyone around me use the new name for a year or so, just to make sure it was the right one. I took my paperwork to the court, got my name changed, and went through all the usual processes: social security, driver's license, voter registration, and bills. At the time, it seemed a fairly easy process, probably because I lived in a town that had all of those offices at reasonable distances and locations.

Last year, I got married. Once again, I got my name changed, and had to go through the process of updating everyone else on the matter, but I had someone with me this time, and the waiting was easier. Also, the town into which I had moved had all the offices conveniently located close to each other again, so it was mostly easy drives out, medium wait times, and filing paperwork. There was a little bit of trouble with things like my passport (have you SEEN the prices for passports lately?!) and the fact that the court that had issued my carry
concealed license didn't have paperwork to change the name on it ("Just fill out the change of address paperwork and write a note on there that your name changed!"), but all-in-all, it wasn't a bad process.

This year, my ex and I separated (long story), and I decided to change my last name back to what it was. And of course, this time, it has been one hassle after another, some amusing, some not. To begin with, I found out that my car insurance and my carry concealed license had never been updated. Surprise surprise, the "just put a note on the address change document" deal hadn't worked, so when I went to inform that court of the name change, they simply said, "Oh, we never got notified of the first change, so just don't worry about it". Well, I'm sorry, but that's a pretty big thing to not worry about! I take gun rights and laws pretty seriously, and I don't want to get nailed later by some power-tripping authority who assumes I was going for living under two names at the time! So a little worry will be present for at least a while, thank you. The car insurance, no big deal, however. I can't imagine anyone taking issue with my car being covered by my maiden name, especially as I had no accidents or incidents for that duration.

Now here comes the fun part... I went to the Social Security office in the town where I had a temp job last month. It was right down the road, I figured I'd take off early from work one day, swing by, and get things rolling. I show up with a copy of my paperwork that the court had sent me, and promptly get told that what I have won't work. Upon further questioning, I am told that while I have a copy of the court orders showing my name change, I don't have a certified copy, but, "if you can run to the courthouse and get one, we'll honor your place in line and you won't have to get a new number". All fine and dandy, but the courthouse where we filed in 90 miles south of the town I was working in. Not gonna happen.


I called up the courthouse and asked what it would take to get a certified copy of their paperwork, and was informed I would have to arrive in person, M-F 8-4, and pay $21.50 for the honor of receiving paperwork that they knew was the only way I could change my name. "You should have known to ask for a certified copy when you filed the paperwork", they told me. "Ah, you're right! I should have called up the SS office and asked what kind of copy I needed, 5 months early, since it took the court 2 months longer than the 3 month estimate they initially gave us to get the case looked at. I should have known!" /end sarcasm...

Fortuitously, the next day saw me getting out of work early (see previous post), so I was able to go down and get said certified copy. Even more fortuitously, the social security office and main branch of my bank were very close (relatively speaking) to the courthouse, so I was able to get both of those knocked out in short order. Interestingly enough, when I went to the social security office (again...) they asked not only for a copy of the court order and my license showing my old name, but they also asked of proof of my old old name... i.e., the one I was changing it back to. What on earth would I have done if I'd been married 20 years before this happened? Fortunately, I'd never changed my passport to my married name, so I dodged that bullet, but what a bizarre request.

I did find the discrepancy between what documents are required by various agencies in order to change your name very interesting. Aside from the above-mentioned social security office, my bank required only a government-issued photo id showing the new name. My secondary bank (since the first has no close locations) only required me to say "Hey, I'm changing my name", and they believed me, as did the apartment leasing agency. The phone company required a copy of the court order (not certified, might I add), and the DMV asked for that document and that the social security office had updated it. So much for having centralized information...

However, at this point everything is done. All my documentation matches, and I don't have to be concerned if I get pulled over (other than the usual concern of why I was pulled over).

This scenario, however, is still a concern. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment