Saturday, May 28, 2011

Just wow.

As you know, I've been trying to come to terms with the recent death of my older sister, a topic I'll get into later when I've sorted it all out, as well as returning to the workforce after an absence of two and a half years. It's not been the easiest of weeks, and I was rather looking forward to Friday and the long weekend that followed. When I woke up this morning, however, I had 2 messages on my phone from overnight (I mute my phone at night, as I cherish my sleep). One was from a friend who'd gotten the news of Suzanne rather late, and was expressing her sympathies. The other, however, is what this post is about...

The second one, from my ex, ran as follows:

"So... I was poking around the internet and saw your blog page. What I saw there I do not appreciate. Back in January you made a post reflecting on our relationship in which you dropped my name several time [sic] as
well as the town I live in. This post continued on to make many slanderous remarks about me. I do not appreciate this for a couple of reason. 1. You used my name in [a] public forum without my consent. 2. You have twisted the actual events to make me look bad. I request that you remove this post. If you feel it should remain then change it so that it does not reflect my name or the town I live in. I did not do such a thing to you and I respected your privacy, the least you could do is respect mine."

Now, perhaps the fault was, indeed, mine, in not making the blog or post private. However, I was under the impression that a) his name is fairly common, b) a personal opinion, on a personal blog didn't require permission to use someone's given name, and c) everyone is allowed to hold their own opinion.

So the long and the short of it is that the blog is now private, unsearchable, and requires a login to see. I will try to post a bit more frequently about things going on in my life, such as being in the job force again, or the struggle to keep my languages up over the summer (the french conversation class was cancelled, I am very sad about this). Things to look forward to: my dance troupe is starting to get requests for paid performances- very exciting- and summer brings about irish and scottish festivals in Colorado, as well as great weather to try out my resolution to go hiking more often. It's a beautiful world... let's go celebrate it, regardless of those who try to hold us back!

Edit: After talking about this with the gentleman guy involved, it turns out he was taking a Computer Security class at the time. Combined with a tendency to get wrapped up in whatever he's studying at the time, I could see where he was coming from. Perhaps not the intensity with which it was presented, but we all have faults. I have edited the posts that contained his name, and now feel comfortable removing the privacy restrictions to my blog. It is still not searchable, however, so if you ever lose the link, let me know. Searchable again. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment