Thursday, May 6, 2010

Visa confusion.

Visas are in! I went to pick up my passport/ visa on Tuesday, and noticed that my name was in three different places: twice on the visa form itself (once in roman letters, once in cyrillic), and then again at the bottom of the visa, presumably for scanning purposes. Unfortunately, the bottom of the visa spelled my name "Lissandra Leqlani", even though the two on the form were correct. Paranoid, I called up the woman who'd gotten our visas taken care of, and she said she'd noticed that everyone's was misspelled. She contacted the Russian Embassy, and it turns out that they enter our names in roman characters, convert them to cyrillic for the system, then convert them from cyrillic back to roman for the scan at the bottom. Since the two alphabets don't correspond (there are perhaps 2-3 symbols that are the same in both), there are mistakes after the final conversion- they know about this and it's ok. Nice to let us know ahead of time!

So I have my passport and visa back, I have my tickets sorted out, finals are done as of today... Now I get to sit back and relax for a week before the adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment