Sunday, December 8, 2019

Thor cosplay: End result

Note: links to the post for individual parts are at the end of the post.

     I started costuming in 1996, my senior year of high school, when I learned there was a ren faire opening nearby and they wanted workers/ actors. We weren't wealthy, so when I was hired and took a look at buying an outfit (for a part-time job, mind you), I balked at the prices, thinking "I can probably make that on my own!" The first year's outfit wasn't anything fancy, but it worked and I was encouraged to keep going, trying for something better the next year. 

     I stopped working ren faires in 2006, but still made clothes and occasional costumes for fun. In 2017, I decided to take it up a notch and try my hand at thermoplastics, adding armor to my costumes. It took 2 years (while working on my Master's degree and other things), over 176 hours, and... well we won't talk about the cost... but I finally finished my first thermoplasic cosplay and debuted it at Baltimore Comic Con. I did not enter the costume contest due to scheduling conflicts, but if the number of times I (and my friend who came with) were stopped and asked for pictures is any measure of success, I'd say I made it. 
     The first picture was taken before we went into the con proper, and I was still a little unsure of myself. The second is, fairly obviously, once I realized I did well:



     In reflection, there is a list of things I think I did well, and things I want to do a little differently next time. On the did well list is: 
  • Comfortable. There weren't any horribly uncomfortable points, which means I fitted and balanced it well. The helmet was a little hot, but what can you expect from a helmet in warm weather?
  • Almost full range of movement. The sabatons were fully articulated so I could kneel (very important for pictures with kids) and walk without changing my stride. The breastplate was a small hindrance - I couldn't fully cross my arms - but not horrible. 
  • Could use the restroom unaided. I know, I know, it sounds like an odd thing to consider, but I've heard stories about needing helpers to use the restroom, and on a warm day, walking around for hours on end? Vital. It was a bit awkward with the cape, but doable.
  • Durable. When I took it off, I could see some small wear spots and cracks on the edges of the sabatons, where I hadn't fully overlapped the Worbla or the hinges were a little tight. The clasps on the cape (which I got like 20 for $5, so not high quality) were a bit bent out of shape, but they are easily replaceable. The edges of the skirt frayed a little bit, but everything else is ready to go for another con. 
  • Good measurements. The handle loop for Mjolnir was the perfect fit to carry it casually, but still slip off my hand when kids grabbed for it. The skirt was just long enough to hit the floor but short enough not to be stepped on or catch on things. The helmet and breastplate/cape were well balanced and didn't require lots of adjustment. Lots of prior planning made it an easy costume to wear. 
Things I'll do differently, moving forward:
  • Lasik (already done). Ha, sounds silly, but I'd already considered it and this was the tipping point. Superheroes squinting to see things clearly look kind of silly. 
  • Break in boots beforehand. 'Nuff said. My feet were sore by the end of the day. 
  • Don't use shiny ribbon. It doesn't hold. Elastic or grosgrain ribbon only, so there's no need to retie throughout the day.
  • Some sort of hair restraint. I was hoping it would just stay back and out of the way under the helmet, but it did still tend to fall forward, and I think the wild poof would the back of the helmet looked a little silly. Also, very hot. 
  • No sandwiching materials. The guide I read to working with Worbla advised to sandwich craft foam between two pieces for Worbla for structural integrity. I did that for the bracer,and it really made it far too bulky. The breastplate is one layer of worbla over 1/4" thick foam, and it held up fine. I wouldn't go into actual battle with it, but I don't think that will happen. Going forward, I'd like to make each piece thinner and add more decoration, which I think really sells the outfit. 
Overall though, I think it did really well, and I'm already working on my next costume. But that's for later. :) 

Individual posts: 
Breastplate (part 1 and part 2)
Mjolnir (hammer)

No comments:

Post a Comment