Saturday, March 2, 2019

Baking again

     I don't tend to bake much over the holidays, since everyone else is baking, there is no shortage of sweets, and it's generally a chaotic time of the year anyway. The past couple years, I've found it's much easier to wait until February or so, and do baking then - people are usually in the winter blahs and quite thrilled to get some sweetness and excitement of new things to try. This year was no exception, and I got to try some interesting new recipes.

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies (Vegan)

Mash together:
   2 ripe bananas
   1/2 cup shredded carrots
   1/2 cup applesauce
   2 tsp vanilla

Add:
   2 cups oats (I prefer old-fashioned, you could probably use instant)
   1/2 cup dried pineapple, torn to smallish bits
   1/2 cup raisins
   1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
   1/2 tsp salt

It will make a very wet, non-cookie-dough-like mass in the bowl. I doubt myself every time I make it, but trust that it will work out. Drop onto a greased pan, bake for 12-15 minutes at 350° until solid but not dry. Let cool, store in the fridge. 

Chocolate Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream:
   1 cup butter (real butter, no skimping and using lard or margarine)
   5/8 cup or scant 3/4 cup sugar
   5/8 cup or scant 3/4 cup brown sugar
   4 eggs
   1/2 cup cocoa powder (dark is best, milk will do)

Add:
   3 1/2 cups flour (start with 3, then add as needed to get sticky dough)
   1 tsp salt
   2 tsp baking powder
   1/4 tsp espresso powder

Stir in:
   1 cup chocolate chips
   generous 1/2 cup dried cherries

Dough should be sticky, not easily rolled into balls. Drop onto pan, bake 10-12 minutes at 350° until firm but not dry.    

I did not get any photos, and they were all gone by the time I thought to do so. I will definitely be making both again, however, so I will come back and update if I remember next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment