Saturday, December 8, 2018

Why people hate insurance companies

     In early October, I received a letter from my insurance company asking for documentation to support an insurance claim from a visit in May. Annoying, but more annoying because it was a yearly checkup at a practice that I'd been to the year before - also for a yearly checkup, also coded in plain English on the claim as a yearly checkup - that they'd contested and I'd proven was covered. But, bureaucracy, so ok, I gather the documents and send an email as requested on October 24th, well within their 45 day response time.

     No acknowledgement of receipt, no response.

     Two weeks pass, the deadline to submit passes...

     No acknowledgement of receipt, no response.

     Their website lauds their email support option, and since I don't really enjoy traveling through their phone IVR for 15 minutes just to be told "I don't know, we'll escalate this and get back to" (speaking from experience here), I figured I'd give their vaunted email support a try. Note the dates on the resulting interactions:







 

     Note that I wasn't even inquiring about an HRA... this was an inquiry they sent me about a doctor's visit, to decide if it should be covered. I still don't know if they even acknowledged the documentation I send in over a month ago, because typing in "Yes, we received it/ No, we didn't get it" is too difficult for a company that takes in billions of dollars per year. Very helpful email support, A+, 10/10, would recommend to someone who is already a corpse and can wait 10 years for a real answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment