Saturday, December 1, 2018

Delicious baking error

    A while back, I was in the process of making cookies and my brain somehow short-circuited. I'd mixed together butter, eggs, sugar, and brown sugar, then confidently grabbed the eggs from the fridge and dropped two more in. Not really sure why, but of course I only realized it after I'd added both, and was standing there, staring at the soupy mix in confusion. Should I toss it? Double the whole recipe? Attempt to scoop out the extra eggs? All of those required significant effort, and I was already tired, so I said to heck with it, it's extra protein, I'll just continue on and see what happens (always a good idea...).

     What happened is I ended up with something more like muffin batter than cookie dough - not as wet as cake batter, but definitely too sticky to roll into cookies. Again, though, I was too invested in it to stop, so I just dumped it all into an 8 x 8 pan and shoved it into the oven to see what would happen.

     Apparently, it makes fluffy cookie muffin things that taste delicious. I cut the pan into 24 pieces (since that's usually how many cookies I get out of a batch), and figured I'd just take them in with lunch like normal cookies.

     Unbeknownst to me, however, was that these things apparently ticked off every single "this is delicious and delightful" box on my gentleman's typically no-interest-in-sugary-things checklist, because after three days, they were gone, and I know I wasn't eating them more often than usual. I had lowered the sugar, as I usually do for cookies, but they still had the lighter texture of muffins - usually a high-sugar food. We played around with what to call them and settled on puffins (I don't remember entirely why), but they are now in the baking rotation at our place. I have to make something else for my lunches when the puffins are requested, however, because they still go fast.

If you'd like to try it yourself:

Blend:
   1/2 cup butter
   3/8 cup white sugar
   3/8 cup brown sugar
   4 eggs

Add and mix:
   1.5 cups flour
   1/2 tsp salt
   1 tsp baking powder
   1/2 bag chocolate chips or other add-ins
          (we used peanut butter and chocolate chips)

Grease an 8x8 pan, dump it all in, and bake at 350° for roughly 35 minutes. The top will look cookie-browned, but the inside will be just cooked. Check with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool, cut into 24 pieces (or to your preference), and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment