Monday, April 22, 2013

Moving prep

     Let the countdown begin! I just realized today that there are only 19 days left until I leave this place for good and start working again, hopefully with something relevant to my degrees. This past weekend was taken up with putting a trailer hitch on my car, and rewiring the back end to add a plug for trailer lights. It took a little bit longer than expected, but I had a huge amount of fun with my (awesome) aunt, uncle, and cousin. The trailer itself didn't show up, so I get to go back up there next weekend and spent more time with them, putting it together. I've been selling stuff on ebay and craigslist, and pretty much everything superfluous to daily life is either sold, boxed up, or waiting to be donated, which makes the place rather bare. No worries though, because I have an 8-page final paper (in Russian!) due in less than two weeks, and I expect that to take up most of my time and attention.


     I won't lie, it's all a little overwhelming, and both my attention span and sleeping patterns have taken a hit because of everything going on. I've got an impressive number of lists going, and if something isn't on my calendar, well, it basically doesn't get done. Not because I don't care about it, but just because I only remember about 6 hours too late to do anything about it. As someone who is usually quite orderly, this is more than a bit disturbing, but I'm trying not to let it get me down. Remember those positive websites I linked back here? They're getting heavily used, trust me.

     What really bugs me though, is how so much of the world seems to run on a last-minute basis. Don't get me wrong, I procrastinate on some things (like an 8-page Russian paper), but when it comes to important things- things that impact how other people have to do their jobs or live their lives- to me, that's something that should be done well in advance. I called the cable company this week to schedule a date for termination of services, because I know that I will forget it if I leave it too long. Despite the fact that the date I was going for was only 3 weeks out, they told me that they couldn't schedule something that far ahead of time, and to just call on the day I left to cancel services. Well, I'm sorry, but I think I'll be a little busy on the day I leave, how bout I just call a bit later?

     I'm running into this with leasing offices, too. You'd think that something as big and vital as a living area would be something you'd want to confirm and have lots of advance notice of, if things go haywire, right? Apparently not. The place I'm living now doesn't seem to be able to calculate prorated rent for this upcoming month: I've called them once a week for the past month, since I gave them my notice well in advance, in fact, and they still cannot tell me what my rent will be. Even more frustrating, the place that we're moving into, out in Maryland, told us that they don't actually print out a lease for a new tenant until the day that the old tenant turns their key in and physically vacates the premises.

Great for services, not so great for housing, unless the latter is true...

     On the one hand, I get that you don't want to be contractually held to something and then have the tenant change their mind and stick around. I get that that would make things awkward. But on the other hand, the tenant gave notice, which, as far as I know, is a legally binding document, meaning that they have to leave when they said they would. In the meantime, the new/ prospective tenant is just hanging around, waiting to see if they have a place or not, and if not, that means that they are now in a position of either having to stay past their move-out date, or scramble to find someplace to live really fast. To me, if just seems like it would be better to have everyone know that they are legally bound to do what they say (but then, I live by my word, so it's logical I would think that), and know that things are ready ahead of time. But apparently, that's just me.

     So other than being slightly scatterbrained from trying to keep track of everything going on and having some amount of (hopefully unfounded) worry about whether we'll actually have a place to move to, life isn't too bad. I just wish the weather would realize it's spring, and stop dumping snow on us. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment