Friday, January 25, 2013

FTP 38 - Chasing dreams

Since I was young, I knew I wanted to work with languages.

When I was let go from my job five years ago and decided to go back to school, I knew it was the first step to making those dreams come true.

When I sat in my first language class and realized how much I had to learn, I knew it wouldn't be easy, but hoped it would be worth it.

When it hit me that I only had one semester left before I would have to go out and prove myself, I won't lie, I panicked a little.

When I sat at my computer yesterday, the first day of my internship with a real, honest-to-goodness translation company, and realized I had just translated a professional document with only one unclear point...

I knew it was worth it.

     Chasing dreams is scary, because if you fail, you don't have anything to fall back on. There's no sense of, "well, that's okay if I'm not so good at this, because I can still hope to be x someday." And sometimes, you don't know quite what your dream is until you're halfway through the chase. But once you do, and when it starts to come together, you'll know it, and you'll think "wow, that's me. And I'm amazing."

Go on, I know you can do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment