Saturday, November 10, 2018

New skills but not standalone

     One of the things I really appreciate about thermoplastics is that it requires a lot of secondary skills to create a finished product. I enjoy exploring new things, and learning how stuff works, so limiting myself to just 4 hobbies was a bit of a downer, even though I realize it's necessary to really make strides in any of them. Thermoplastics is nice, however, in that it requires at least a minimum level of skill in several other things. Deconstructing a 3D concept into 2D pattern pieces, molding and shaping forms to fit the wearer, a reasonable knowledge of glues and adhesives, some amount of painting, how best to attach pieces to the wearer (velcro, straps, ties, etc), and knowledge of a wide range of materials.

     Thankfully, many of these secondary skills have become common enough that they are fairly inexpensive. Back in the early 2000s, a friend was asking about painting/ pinstriping, but the tools were several hundred dollars each. Now, my gentleman was able to find a good quality airbrush for under $60, so I don't have to use spray paint to color my projects. To be sure, there's a bit of a learning curve, but it means I can use acrylics (no chemical smell) and paint inside during the winter, rather than waiting til the weather warms up again to spray paint outside. I can also mix my own colors, and use as much or as little as I like, and (best of all), the paint layer is thin enough that it doesn't crack when I bonk things!


     I still have to figure out the best way to attach the leather to the pvc handle, and how to attach the end strap so it doesn't come off, then make an end cap for it, but otherwise, the end is in sight! It's not perfect or professional, but it's a good first-thermoplastics-cosplay-outfit effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment