Saturday, October 27, 2018

Exercise goals

     In 2017, I somewhat randomly picked a physical fitness goal to hit by 2019: to do a pike-to-handstand (link). I keep seeing it done in "people are awesome" youtube videos, which I watch occasionally as an end-of-day feel-good mood booster, and they look amazing. I found a couple sites that broke it down into separate parts, and I've been working on them as part of my regular workouts.

     In a similar vein, NerdFitness, the geeky website I use for fitness information, released a "Rings and Handstands" pack that takes you step-by-step on how to do things like handstands, handstand push-ups, ring L-sits, ring muscle-ups, and ring front levers. It was half off, as an introductory price, so I went for it, and have been working my way through some of the progressions there, as well, since many of them target the same muscles and skills as pike-to-handstands.

     For handstands, I'm currently working on staying balanced away from the wall, and can usually get a 3-5 second "float" on 3 out of 4 attempts. I can successfully hold a 30-40 second crow pose, but don't have the core strength to push up out of it into a handstand. With that in mind, I've been working more on the ring L-sit, and finally got a good 5-second sit this past week. It's not a professional video, and my arms are still shaky on the rings, but here's video evidence that I'm making progress:


     Not gonna lie, I'm pretty proud of that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment