Sunday, September 3, 2017

Goodbye parkour, hello boot camp

     Parkour gym closed for good this past week. Unusually for me, I decided to stop in to the goodbye party on Friday night, and they were encouraging people to "sign off" on the floor - make your last mark, leave memories, etc. Never one to pass up a drawing opportunity, I added the below tags:



 A QM (quadrupedal movement) is any method of moving on all 4s. Proper form (back flat, knees off the ground) is rather strenuous to do, especially back and forth many times in a row.




My celtic knot didn't turn out terribly well, so I added words.




     The last was at my gentleman's urging. Jay was the instructor for the conditioning class, and we're pretty sure he delighted in torturing us. Actually, we're pretty sure they all did, but Jay held the most endurance-type classes.


     Needing a new place to work out, I scheduled a trial class at a place called SoldierFit, which runs boot camp-style classes, martial arts classes, and a rather nice weights area, complete with gymnastic rings and climbing ropes. I figured that working out 5 days a week and doing parkour for 3 hours on Saturdays would put me in fairly decent shape for such classes, and boy was I wrong. Parkour is all about fast, full-body power explosions; boot camp was more an endurance grind with focus on certain muscles at certain times. However, the good news is that I have lots of room to grow, so I doubt I'll get bored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment