Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Delay in career change

     When I interviewed for this job in 2014, I told them up front that I would work until I finished my master's degree - roughly three years. I let me boss know last winter that I would start putting out applications around the beginning of the year, as the field I want to go into has long lead times on getting a position. When my yearly review came up in February of this year, it started out like this:




     I was flattered, but I really do want to change careers. He gave me a raise well above the company cap anyway, and I didn't think about it anymore.

     As evidenced by the previous post, we began looking for another admin, with not positive results. About two weeks after that chickie quit, my boss called me into his office on Friday at 4:50pm. He asks how my job search is going, and I let him know I've put it on hold while I finish out my last class. I haven't had much in the way of response, and the few interviews I did get coincided with my thesis class, with not promising results. He got straight to the point:


     The actual number is considerably more than I have ever made in my long and varied work history, and I was completely not expecting to reach that point as an admin. Being the suave and skilled negotiator that I am (lies), I responded with:


     So much for keeping your cool, playing it close to the chest, and all the other things you're supposed to do when talking about money. I was waiting for him to say what my expanded list of responsibilities would be, but he insisted it would just be proper pay for what I already do. I took the weekend to talk to my gentleman, consider my finances (hello, student loans), and realize that it's an incredibly good offer. Thankfully, I am very happy with the company and people I work with, so it's not a hardship to stay. Plus, in the meantime, I will get to pursue specialties in my field of study that I didn't have time to do before graduation. Not a bad situation at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment